- Applicant must be an honorably discharged veterans of any branch of the United States Armed Forces.
- Applicant must appear in person at the Hudson County Clerk’s Office, Division of Public Records.
- Applicant must present his or her DD-214 Military Discharge Record.
- Applicant must present proof of identity. Accepted forms of Photo ID: NJ Driver’s License, Non-Driver’s ID, U.S. Passport, Employment ID, other form of Military photo ID.
- Applicant must present proof of legal Hudson County residency. Accepted forms of proof of residence: Valid NJ Driver’s License, Non-Driver’s ID, current utility bill, credit card statement, or bank statement (all mail must be within 90 days) P.O. Box not accepted
- There is no fee for a Veteran ID card.
The card identifies the veteran’s name, address, branch of service and discharge date. It can be presented at participating Hudson County stores and restaurants for a discount on purchases. A list of participating stores is provided to each veteran applicant.
Any discharge documents are considered confidential and can only be accessed by the veteran applicant or his/her family.
Veterans who may have misplaced or cannot locate their DD-214 can obtain a copy by submitting Form SF 180 to the National Archives and Records Administrator (NHP).
If you are a business owner or operator and wish to participate in the County’s Veteran ID Card Program by offering veteran applicants a discount on goods or purchases, please complete this form and return to the County Clerk’s Office: Division of Public Records at 257 Cornelison Avenue, Jersey City, or e-mail to email@example.com, or fax it back to us at 201-369-3478.
Veteran Designation on NJ Licenses
A new law (S2508) recently went into effect that allows veterans to use their Hudson County Veteran ID Card as proof of status to obtain a veteran’s designation sticker from the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission for his or her New Jersey license/state ID.
Veterans may use a Hudson County Veteran ID Card OR their DD-214 as proof of status to obtain a veteran designation sticker from the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission.
The designation sticker is issued directly by the State of NJ and can be requested in person at a local Division of Motor Vehicles or by mail. Visit http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/vet.htm for details.
The ID Cards are not designed to replace federal veterans identification needed to access government programs such as VA hospitals and clinics.